Categories: LAW

Tension In Tunisia Over Dissolution Of High Judicial Council

Tension in Tunisia over dissolution of Judicial Council

OpenLife Nigeria has gathered that tension is currently brewing in Tunisia over the dissolution of the country’s High Judicial Council
The President of the north Africa country, Kais Saied, had, on Sunday announced his decision to dissolve the High Judicial Council, a body mandated to ensure the proper functioning of justice and independence of the judicial authority, and charged with appointing most judicial positions in the country.
The decision , according to different sources, immediately sparked reactions amongst its citizens, resulting to threats of showdown with the government.
Across the continent, many are wondering why Kais Saied, a retired university professor of constitutional law who was also President of the Tunisian Association of Constitutional Law from 1995 to 2019 would embark on such an administrative suicide.
Information has it that the Commission was established in 2016 before President Saied assumed office in October 2019 and was hailed as a major advance in the consolidation of the rule of law, separation of powers and the independence of the judiciary in Tunisia.
Reacting, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, on Tuesday urged the President to restore the High Judicial Council, warning that its dissolution would seriously undermine the rule of law, the separation of powers and independence of the judiciary in the country.
“Much remains to be done to bring justice sector legislation, procedures and practices in line with applicable international standards – but this has been a big step in the wrong direction,” Bachelet said. “The dissolution of the High Judicial Council is in clear violation of Tunisia’s obligations under international human rights law.”
The office buildings of the High Judicial Council have been cordoned off by Internal Security Forces and members and staff have been prevented from entering the premises. There have also been online hate campaigns and threats against the Council’s members. The High Commissioner stressed that all necessary measures must be taken to safeguard the security of members and staff of the Council.
This is the latest development in a worrying trajectory in the country. On 25 July 2021, the President suspended Parliament and assumed all executive functions. Since then, there have been increasing attempts to stifle dissent, including through harassment of civil society actors.
Source: APO Group

 

Share This
Openlife Reporter

Recent Posts

IBB Speaks On 85th Birthday: ‘One Of The Most Difficult Decisions I Took As President’

At 85, IBB says executing General Mamman Vatsa was one of his hardest decisions as…

5 hours ago

Hours After Affirming Tinubu’s 2027 Bid, Crisis Breaks Out Between Adeleke And Presidency

Hours after endorsing Tinubu for 2027, Governor Adeleke’s Imole Campaign Council clashed with the Presidency,…

16 hours ago

Kwankwaso Talks Tough: ‘How Shekarau, Ganduje, Governor Yusuf Will Meet Their Waterloo In 2027’

Kwankwaso says Shekarau, Ganduje and Gov Yusuf are “politically finished” and warns that governors relying…

20 hours ago

Almost 3 Years After Mohbad’s Death, VDM Digs Deeper To Reveal ‘Facts’ About Wife’s Role {Video}

Mohbad was a Nigerian singer, songwriter and former Marlian Music signee

24 hours ago

Davido Accuses Rep James Faleke Of Pressuring INEC To Manipulate Osun Election Results

Davido has accused Hon. James Faleke of pressuring INEC to manipulate Osun 2026 governorship election…

2 days ago

Zenith Bank Begins NIN, BVN Enrollment, Account Opening Across Provinces In Canada {Dates, Locations, Time, WhatsApp Number}

Zenith Bank has commenced free BVN enrollment, NIN registration and account opening for Nigerians in…

2 days ago

This website uses cookies.