GOVERNANCE

Lagos govt debunks list of restricted routes for Keke Marwa and Okadas

The Lagos State Government has not taken a definite action on the operations of commercial motorcycles (Okada) and tricycles, popularly known as Keke Marwa on some routes across the State.

A statement signed by Gbenga Omotoso, Commissioner for Information and Strategy and made available to OpenLife says contrary to the news in circulation on the list of restricted areas, especially on the social media, purporting that the government has banned Okada and Keke Marwa on some routes, the government declared that no such action has been taken, adding that the list is false and unofficial. It should be disregarded.

According to the state government, a definite position on the issue will soon be made public through the official media channels of the government.

Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso last week told State House Correspondents after the Security Council Meeting held at the Lagos House, Ikeja on January 13 that the delay was informed by need for the Babajide Sanwo-Olu administration to achieve a generally accepted solution to what has been termed the okada menace.

He said: “We have just concluded our routine security meeting, during which the issue of Okada and tricycles was discussed exhaustively. For now, no major decision has been taken on the matter. There are several factors for this development, but the main reason was to reckon with various opinions expressed by stakeholders.

“So many people have made representations to the Government concerning commercial motorcycles and tricycles, including human rights groups, unionists and traders. They came up with many reasonable observations; all their views have been collated and are being considered.

“We feel it will not be good enough for the Government to take a final decision on the matter without considering the opinions of the stakeholders. That would be against the spirit of democracy for which the Sanwo-Olu administration stands.”

Omotoso said whatever decision is taken by the government, the security of lives of all Lagosians will remain paramount to the Sanwo-Olu administration.

The commissioner however, stressed the government’s plan to step up the enforcement of the Lagos State Traffic Law as well as intensify its sensitisation of commercial motorcycles and tricycle riders on the need to obey the law.

Share This
Openlife Reporter

Recent Posts

How Adeleke Failed On Day Of Success Over Insensitivity To The Dead As NDC, Human Rights Activist Kick Against Hasty Endorsement Of Tinubu’s 2027

NDC and activist Richard Akinnola have faulted Gov. Ademola Adeleke for endorsing Tinubu’s 2027 bid…

2 hours ago

How Wunmi, Mohbad’s Wife, Court Allegedly Provided Fake DNA Centres For Paternity Test of Son, Liam {Video

Allegations surface that Wunmi and the court allegedly provided fake DNA centers for Mohbad’s son…

5 hours ago

IBB Speaks On 85th Birthday: ‘One Of The Most Difficult Decisions I Took As President’

At 85, IBB says executing General Mamman Vatsa was one of his hardest decisions as…

11 hours ago

Hours After Affirming Tinubu’s 2027 Bid, Crisis Breaks Out Between Adeleke And Presidency

Hours after endorsing Tinubu for 2027, Governor Adeleke’s Imole Campaign Council clashed with the Presidency,…

22 hours ago

Kwankwaso Talks Tough: ‘How Shekarau, Ganduje, Governor Yusuf Will Meet Their Waterloo In 2027’

Kwankwaso says Shekarau, Ganduje and Gov Yusuf are “politically finished” and warns that governors relying…

1 day ago

Almost 3 Years After Mohbad’s Death, VDM Digs Deeper To Reveal ‘Facts’ About Wife’s Role {Video}

Mohbad was a Nigerian singer, songwriter and former Marlian Music signee

1 day ago

This website uses cookies.