Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy was attacked by suspected gunmen at Ataoja’s palace in Osogbo

Governor Ademola Adeleke Escapes Death As Gunmen Attack Convoy In Osogbo

Governor Ademola Adeleke Escapes Death

 

OpenLife News reports that panic broke out in Osogbo on Wednesday after suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The attack triggered a heavy gun battle between the assailants and the governor’s security personnel that lasted about 12 to 15 minutes.

Attack Happened Minutes After Palace Visit

Governor Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles. He was coming from the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Osogbo where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

An eyewitness told our correspondent that the governor was received by Oba Oyetunji and presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch. Trouble started as the meeting was winding down and prayers had been offered.

According to the source: “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

Palace Gate Damaged, Traders Flee

A trader near the palace, identified as <strong>Munirat</strong>, said the attackers may have been waiting for the governor.

“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.

Governor Ademola Adeleke Escapes Death As Gunmen Attack Convoy In Osogbo
Governor Ademola Adeleke escapes death

We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”

The incident caused panic in the area as traders and residents abandoned their businesses and ran for safety. As of 4:45 pm, sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, with many shops hurriedly shut.

No Casualty, Says Osun Govt

Confirming the attack, Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the governor’s security team repelled the assailants.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

As of press time, the Osun State Police Command</strong> was yet to issue an official statement on the attack.

About Author

Share This